December 18, 2018

April Updates: December 2018

My first attempt at an update was less than successful. That's okay. What doesn't kill you....if at first you don't succeed...make it work!

So, it's been three (almost) years since I moved to Korea and it's time for a change. I've been living in Uncheon since I came here. Uncheon is a small town in the north of South Korea.
Google Map of My Places
The red flag is my house. The star on Uijeongbu is where I go to church about 45 minutes away by car. The northern-most Seoul star is the stake center. The southern-most Seoul star is my new position. Woohoo! (The green Seoul flag is my dentist.)

Uncheon is very rural and mostly quiet.  I say, "mostly" because we are very close to several military bases.  That makes for some noisy neighbors.;)

There isn't much here although there are plans for a theater and other entertainment venues in the next 5-10 years.  There are a lot of cafes and 노래방 (noraebang or karaoke) as well as some PC rooms. I can only go anywhere by bus and that takes a bit of planning because everything is a fair drive away.

I am the only caucasian around town. There are very few foreigners here of any kind. But it's beautiful up here.  We are in the tops of their mountains and the colors in fall are lovely. Early summer is amazing. Winter is a beast.  Spring is a relief.  The air and water are clean and the people are mostly friendly if not very outgoing. In short, beautiful but excruciatingly lonely.

But God provides and next year I am looking forward to moving to the south. I'll be working in Gangnam. You might be familiar with the song, "Gangnam Style."  That's the one. It is an affluet area south of the Han river.  The subway is my friend.  I will be close to the temple and all kinds of city conveniences.

I will be working in an English pre-school. I already know some of the teachers who work there. This can only be an improvement on knowing no one. I'll be able to interact with a lot more people. I can't tell you how exciting it is! I will have about 20 students, one class. Currently, I have 40 minute class sessions with 10 classes twice a week. Each class has about 20-24 students so I haven't learned more than a dozen names.

I'm looking forward to being able to teach children games in English, sing songs and have fun with them. Most of my current students are awesome but when the sixth graders get in a group...wow! Parents, I salute you! As they say in Korea: 화이팅!

Finally, as we come into the Christmas season, I just wanted to say, "thank you" for thinking of me. Thank you for your prayers and your love. I know there's a plan for each of us. I know each of us have our own tailor-made challenges. But I also know that everything changes.  It's just a matter of time.

I hope you know that I think of you. I want you to know that I hope you are well. I hope your families are healthy and happy.  I hope you are all growing together, strongly!

Celebrating the holidays with your family is a joy. Take the time to enjoy each other's company. I hope you laugh together a lot!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
All my love,
April
P.S. I'll be in Utah from January 23rd to February 6th.  If anyone wants to get together drop me a line!


Fall in Korea

용문사 Yongmunsa

Learning "Go left." "Go right." "Go straight." blindfolded. Mwa ha ah!

Mummy activity for Halloween.

Great sign. For the chapter "How much is it?"
The name of their shop is "소미더 Mune Shop Korea"
That's Sho mi duh mune. :)  Love these kids!

Decorations made and hung!

Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment