August 16, 2010

My New Widget


Once upon a time, back in 2002, the Winter Olympics came to a little city in the Rocky Mountains called Salt Lake. Thousands of local people were offered the chance to participate as volunteers. I got to be one of them. :D

I have had an interest in the Olympics for about twenty years now. It is something that I enjoy. Nothing in our world is perfect and I have met many people who are eager to find fault with everything. But there is something inspiring about the idea of people setting aside differences in culture, race, religion, economics, etc. and coming together to play games. Very serious games, I know, and there are always cheaters and unsportsmanlike individuals but that we can watch athletes compete, take pride in our nations and play...well, warm fuzzies for the whole world!

Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympic Games, said "Holding an Olympic Games means evoking history." I have made the Widget on the left so that visitors to my blog can look up Olympic New Zealand & National Team related articles, pictures, videos and community content. In this way I am blending two things I love: New Zealand & the Olympic Games. I hope that it will allow any interested searchers to interact with New Zealand's own Olympic related history.

P.S. Clicking on the pic will take you to http://travel.utah.gov/ which is the Utah Office of Tourism:D

No comments:

Post a Comment