August 11, 2010

My Ebook Presentation

Libraries are interesting places. They have changed a lot during my lifetime. When I was a child we were still using card catalogues and hand written circulation cards. Then, computers popped up and everything was digital. I had a library card with a bar code that used the magic of the glowing red light to access my account information. In my time as an employee of various types of libraries I have seen our online presence increase, our access increase, our services increase and our time filled with vital library functions.

Now, with the introduction of the E-Book in various formats, some are calling for the end of libraries. Go ahead. Google 'End of Libraries' and see what you come up with.

Despite the doom and gloom, I am hopeful about the future of libraries. I think libraries will continue to do what they do best: serve their communities however they need to. If that means figuring out how to get WiFi, we'll do it. Adaptive technologies: not a problem. Teen video gaming: sure. E-books available 24/7: well, we haven't figured that out all the way yet but give us a minute and we'll get right to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment