July 28, 2010

E-Readers: Friend or Foe

So, this trimester in Info 525, Digital Technologies, we have been looking in to the world of E-readers. I have to say, being a fan of the Kindle and opposed to all things Apple, that this has been an enlightening exploration. The development of these technologies have seemed almost revolutionary in nature. Or, at least, that is the way they have been reported. The advent of these new technologies is supposed to be the harbinger of doom for the world of print. I just don't buy it. I think we have a case of extreme hype. Doing a bit of research I found this link. The page celebrates 21 of the greatest Tech. bombs ever from 2007 and ironically the E-book makes the list.
Don_t_Believe_the_Hype_The_21_Biggest_Technology_Flops

I happen to think that there is room enough in most of our lives for multiple formats. I am one who, while the E-reader is amazing and handy and easy to read, will still go to the library to check out books. I will still have my own collection of books to supplement my Kindle library or perhaps my Kindle library to supplement my own collection. I won't be abandoning my books!

Anyway, as Groucho Marx says,“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.”

Want more pages for info on E-readers? The following link will take you to my 'delicious' bookmarks for E-readers. Among the bookmarks are the highlights of E-reader development in a mini time line, a fairly comprehensive comparison chart and a couple of articles that have humorous cartoons regarding libraries at the bottom. Enjoy!
http://www.delicious.com/suw1


No comments:

Post a Comment